About KQKI 95.3 FM
HISTORY OF KQKI
KQKI has come from the newest and most amateur operation in St. Mary Parish to the local radio station with the finest, most professional and most community oriented staff in the area. KQKI has an air staff with over 70 years experience, a News Director with over 12 years experience, a sales staff with 30 years of radio experience, and an OWNER with 40 plus years of radio experience, KQKI also has a Radio Marketing Master on staff.
On December 31, 1976 When KQKI signed on the air we began operating as a little 3,000 watt Class “A” Radio Station. In 1990 the FCC informed KQKI that it was eligible to increase power to 16,500 watts with a 420 foot tower, As a Class “C-3” Radio Station. On September 29, 1995, We finally realized our dream and began operating with our new transmitter and tower.
We have developed from a radio station with little credibility into the station that listeners tune to when the need information KQKI was the first station back on the air after Hurricane Andrew, and during the first week we were the information point for the parish. We ate and slept at the station for the first few days, and with the help of the Air National Guard were able to keep area residents in St. Mary, Assumption and St. Martin Parishes informed about shelters, food, ice, fuel and emergency services on a 24 hour basis.
Our radio station has one of the best group of employees that can be found in a small market radio in this country. Many of KQKI’s former employees have become successful as managers, salespeople, and on air personalities. According to one former employee, who is the manager of a large market station; “If you want to learn radio, KQKI is the place you will learn it.” Each person who has been employed by KQKI, has been hired for their ability or for their perceived potential. There are approximately 42,000 people in St. Mary Parish over the age of 12.
Quick Glance at KQKI
Timeline of Events
December 31, 1976KQKI signed on the air and began operating as a little 3,000 watt Class “A” Radio Station.
1990FCC informed KQKI that it was eligible to increase power to 16,500 watts with a 420 foot tower, As a Class “C-3” Radio Station.
September 29, 1995KQKI 95.3 FM began operating with a new transmitter and tower.
KQKI’s Mission Statement
The Company’s Philosophy, Policy and Commitment:
- To operate a profitable company which serves the South Louisiana Area with the highest professionalism, ethics and standards.
- To deliver the best music and most important information listeners need to live productive and happy lives.
- To Participate in a wide rage of community projects that make this a better place for all of us to live, work and do business.
- To be a good corporate citizen, In all ways and at all times.
- To serve our advertisers by presenting their messages effectively,delivering our audience to that as customers and clients, and by doing so, generate increased economic activity in St. Mary Parish.
- To Have Fun And Enjoy A Highly Respected And Profitable Operation While Doing It!